There is an image that comes across everyone’s Instagram feed of some wellness blogger with their light-filled apartment, surrounded by more plants than furniture, doing yoga and looking more like origami art than a person. If you need to channel your inner zen, use on guide on how to start yoga at home.
This post contains affiliate links, which help our blog grow. Thank you!
What could be better than doing yoga at home? You don’t have to deal with people or even leave your house! Whether you’re familiar with child’s pose or only think your pet can do downward facing dog, here’s how to start doing yoga at home.
Why start yoga?
Research has shown that practicing yoga at home can save money, strengthen your discipline, and boost your self-awareness. Beyond the health benefits, yoga is a great way to help focus on deep breathing, help you destress, and maybe even increase your flexibility.
Benefits of Doing Yoga at Home
- You have more time: No matter how busy you are, you can make time for yoga when you do it at home. You’ll save so much time when you don’t have to drive to and from a class, wait to check in, and then wait for the instructor!
- You’ll save money: Most yoga classes start at $12 a class. Even if you have to purchase your own gear, you’ll still save a ton of money by doing it at home.
- You can move at your own pace: You don’t have to follow a yoga teacher or wait out the boring parts if you don’t want to. You can practice at your own pace and find a set that feels right for you.
How to Start Yoga at Home
How to find yoga wear.
When practicing yoga, you want to make sure you have comfortable clothes that don’t restrict movement. We recommend using clothing from Beyond Yoga. The quality is fantastic, and everything is so soft — especially in their Spacedye collection.
Get the right yoga gear.
You don’t need much to do yoga. However, you want to have a space free from clutter, so you have room to do the poses. In the beginning, you can get away with just your basic yoga mat. However, as you start to progress in your yoga journey, there is other gear that you’ll need for more advanced poses.
We recommend getting the following:
- Yoga mat
- Yoga mat wipes (to properly clean your mat)
- Yoga blocks
- Yoga straps
- Rectangular bolster
- Yoga socks (to keep you from slipping on the mat)
- Yoga knee pad
Find a good yoga program to follow.
If you are new to yoga or prefer to have a class-style environment, you’ll want to find a program or instructor you like.
Here are some YouTube programs we recommend to start doing yoga at home:
The best tip on how to start yoga at home: Be consistent.
Practicing yoga even once a week can be beneficial. Three times a week or every day is even better. What you want to focus on is being consistent.
The more consistent you are with practicing yoga, the better results you will see. Just remember not to overdo it. You won’t stick with your yoga practice if you don’t enjoy it. If you are looking for a way to relax and destress before your big day, we highly recommend giving yoga a try!
Want to start yoga? Save it!
Photos: Elina Fairytale and Beyond Yoga